• Karlsson spent the majority of the 2013-14 campaign with Frolunda’s under-20 team in Sweden’s top junior league, tallying 22 points (12-10—22) in 28 games. He also played for the club’s under-18 team and was loaned to Mora for nine games in Sweden’s second division.
• He was the youngest player on Team Sweden as the club captured a silver medal on home soil at the 2014 World Junior Championship.
• His older brother, Erik, was selected by the Carolina Hurricanes in the fourth round (99th overall) of the 2012 NHL Draft. The two have played together at many levels, most recently with Frolunda’s junior team in 2013-14. Their father, Martin, has been an assistant coach with Frolunda’s under-16 club since 2011-12.
• Karlsson captained his country to a gold medal at the 2013 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, compiling nine points (6-3—9), including two goals in Sweden’s 7-5 win over Russia in the gold-medal game. He also captained Team Sweden at the 2014 Ivan Hlinka Memorial and earned a bronze medal at the tournament in 2013.
• Karlsson served as an assistant captain for Sweden at both the 2013 and 2014 Under-18 World Hockey Championships. He was selected by opposing coaches as one of the team’s top three players at the 2013 tournament after compiling four points (2-2—4) in five contests.
• Frolunda has produced at least one NHL Draft pick in each of the past 16 years - 48 players in total - almost twice the amount of any other Swedish club. Daniel Alfredsson, Henrik Lundqvist, Erik Karlsson and Alexander Steen are among the players currently skating in the NHL who have come from the program.
FROLUNDA’S KARLSSON BRINGS ‘WARRIOR’ ELEMENT TO GAME (click here)