Ulmer Answers Your Questions Today At 3 p.m.
Wednesday, 13.01.2010 / 9:34 AM / Live Chats
By Mike Ulmer - Mapleleafs.com commentator
Boy, are we ready for a chat.
So many things to talk about. Let us recap.
1. The Leafs have lost four straight. They sit nine points out of eighth and 27th overall. In what seems to be a permanent curse, the only coaches lower in the standings, Paul Maurice and Pat Quinn, are former Leaf coaches.
2. Phil Kessel has one goal in his last 13 games. That’s not good.
3. With Tyler Bozak and Viktor Stalberg already up, the Maple Leafs have largely depleted their thin stock of Marlies talent.
4. Jonas Gustavsson has looked lost in his last two games.
5. It’s getting really cold outside.
So here are the questions we should jockey with today.
Was it unrealistic to expect anything else? Should fans settle in and endure a fifth straight season out of the playoffs with the hope of better times to sustain them? Are those better times just around the corner.
Realistically, what can be done to make things better right now? Please, let’s keep the Jeff Finger for Alexander Ovechkin suggestions to a minimum.
Are there bright points? What about the play of Nikolai Kulemin? Did Bozak show enough fancy passing or is he a passing fancy? What does Gustavsson need to recapture the encouraging play of the early season? Is a useful lower case player such as Carl Gunnarsson someone whose contributions could lead to a chain reaction among the defencemen?
All these and so much more, kicked around today at 3 p.m. Same Bat-time, Same Bat-station.